One of the last major cabins to refit on Wildthing was the v-berth at the front of the boat. The v-berth on the Pan Oceanic 46 has a nice queen size bed to port along with a cabinet and a set of drawers. On the starboard side there was a locker and some drawers. The v-berth is probably the largest cabin after the main salon. It required a lot of work to cover the huge headliner, bulkheads, floor and hull.
V-Berth Maple Tambour
We ended up tearing out most of the starboard side and building a new cabinet with shelves and a hanging locker. This was discussed in a previous post.The old teak veneer was stripped off down to the bulkheads to allow us to attach the new maple tambour. It came off easily, in sheets, with a little scraping.
It was then removed and varnished for final assembly. We glued the panels to the bulkheads using a Roberts 2001 floor adhesive. We had to get creative in a few spots to hold the panels in place while the glue dried.
|Port side bulkhead glued and braced|
|Cabinet face frame and outlets installed|
|Port side bulkhead and cabinet|
|Starboard side cabinetry|
|Starboard side cabinets|
|Cabinet face frame test fit|
|Tambour installed on the side of the berth with light switch|
|Forward bulkhead in the v-berth & anchor locker|
|Tambour glued onto the forward bulkhead|
|Anchor locker door installed with latches|
|Hinge detail of the anchor locker door|
All the old vinyl headliner was removed and new slats were screwed into the ceiling to allow us to attach the new headliner.
We had a groove cut in the panels with a CNC machine to give it a wainscoting look. We took special care to make sure the grooves in the headliner, lined up forward to aft on the ceiling. The panels were initially rough cut for size then removed for sanding, priming and painting.
|V-berth headliner panels looking aft|
We added 4 new LED lights and a fan to give the space a bright and well ventilated feel.
|Port side headliner|
The floor in the v-berth is tiny and odd shaped because it comes up next to the hull on the starboard side. One floor hatch is located in the center of the floor. The floor was not quite high enough, so some plywood subfloor was added. The flooring was the same vinyl material used in the rest of the boat. The lines of the flooring were continued throughout the boat. The flooring was also used on the toe kick up the from side of the cabinet to improve durability.
|Flooring and a latch were added, edges trimmed out in teak|
|New hatch with flooring trimmed in teak|
We had purposely removed all the teak on the outside of the boat to reduce the maintenance but added a lot of wood on the inside to give it a rich look. We tried to recreate the look of the Dutch built boats. They are examples of some of the best joinery and craftmanship. We did not quite reach that level of work but we came close.
A dual DC USB outlet was wired below the AC outlet to provide charging of mobile devices when the inverter AC power is not on.
The DC USB outlets were purchased on Amazon. These have an on and off switch and an LED indication of the voltage of the DC house batteries.
The LED lights in the cabins are controlled at the main DC switch panel. Dimmer switches were added in each cabin to control the lights. I thought of using some WiFi controlled switches in the cabins but kept it simple to decrease setup and maintenance.
Hull Side Covering
The same ArmaFlex insulation was used to insulate the hull. We used sheets of 1/4 plywood to cover the side hulls. The panels were covered with epoxy resin and painted to seal them from moisture and give a nice white background. Teak slats were added every 6 inches to break up the white side hull.
|Starboard side finished|
The whole right side of the v-berth was rebuilt using 1/2 inch marine plywood to create two bulkheads. Templates were made of the bulkhead and then transferred to plywood. One section will be shelves and the other a hanging locker. The bulkheads were epoxied to the hull.
3/4 inch poplar was used to build the framework of the shelves and hanging locker.
We insulated the hull in the back of the lockers with the same Armaflex insulation.
Cabinet Face Frames and Doors
|The rough fit of the face frame and door. |
|Assembled face frame and door|
|V-berth starboard side locker|
|V-berth forward bulkhead, anchor locker, side panels and headliner|
|Anchor locker latch|
|Starboard side top cabinet face frame and tambour|
|Port side cabinet and aft bulkhead|
|V-berth starboard side cabinet doors|
|V-berth aft bulkhead tambour, fan, dorade covers|
This season was very productive. Summer is fast approaching and I am heading back to South Dakota for the summer. Work on Wildthing will pause during the brutal summer in Florida.
We were able to install the two electric Lewmar primary winches and two manual secondary winches. We then moved onto the v-berth and nearly completed this cabin after two years of work. Side hulls coverings, headliner bulkheads, flooring and cabinetry were completed. The pilothouse was painted and the headliner was completed. More pictures on the pilothouse reveal will follow later. Some repairs were made to the outside hull and caprail damage that occurred during hurricane Ian.
I will return in November to hopefully finish up the v-berth. Stay tuned for more posts. Work is slow but we are coming to the end of the project. It is so exciting and gratifying to see 20 years of work come to completion.